Saturday, March 27, 2010

Greatness on an Especially Epic Level


There are some things I just must have in life, one of them is lip balm. I am a lip balm nut job. Cannot help it...I get dry lips. Must be all the kissing I do. Hmmmmmm....Ya. Anyway while in search of the "perfect" lip balm I came across Especially Epic Soap Co. and saw she had lip balms. Eh, I'll stop by and take a look, the soaps are funky and fun to look at anyway.

To my surprise her main ingredient in her lip balm was pistachio butter, which I had never tried. So I ordered a few. Wow, what a huge difference. Unlike so many of the other ones I have tried these do NOT get waxy at all, always creamy and smooth and she has gone totally lip balm nutty like me! I think I saw 21 offerings last count. This new berry one has a tint of color in it and I LOVE IT. You know, for when ya want a little color, but not a lot...it's perfect. And who can turn down marshmallow flavored lip balm? I didn't. So I have tubes all over the house.

Click on any image in this post to visit Especially Epic Soap Co.



Our Miss Epic is an artist from Chicago but needed a new medium to play with and found the fountain of soap. I mean look at these suckers. I cannot even imagine the labor involved in putting all those layers together, much less the patience to do it.

She will also try to get you drunk while bathing with such delights as this Sangria Cocktail, Pina Colada, Mimosa Champagne, I mean you should get carded before bathing! It is obvious this artist takes her craft seriously and you will enjoy her hard work and efforts.
Oh, but we are not done there, something else I love to have in my life is "CUSTOM ORDER." Especially Epic for ME. Yes, it is all about me from here on out. She makes these lovely lotions in a tin that serve many many purposes including as a solid perfume. Then I stumbled on the "customize your lotion." I contacted her and asked "How many fragrances from your list can we mix, is there a limit?" "No limit." Muah Hah Hah Hah....sorry...mad scientist in me pops out from time to time.....time for medication...one sec....
So for $6 bucks how can I go wrong experimenting with her rather extensive list of fragrances. It is like a Chicago deep dish pizza with an endless list of toppings. How do you pick??? Oh hell, throw it all on! Let's cook! The more I did the better I got, and we both had fun.

They were all good, but I have my favorites. But the classics are Blue Basmati, Merlot Smoothie, LavenLime & Honey Cakes.
Sooooo much fun and sooooo good!

Then she has the nerve...the the audacity to do this...
Roll on fragrances, alcohol free and yup, a custom order option......Oh...ohhh....no she did not!
Yes....yesss.....I ordered one already! And it's wonderful and I want more. You can see my will power is overwhelming.
Anyway, I have gabbed on enough about this wonderful creator, so it is time to put her bit about herself on here. She has done a lot of research and cares about what goes into the environment and our skin...I give you Allison....

I'm Allison, the creator and CEO (lol) of Epically Epic Soap. I work from my home in Chicago, Illinois. I am also a painter and for the last 10 years I was the director of Havana Gallery, where I got to travel to Cuba every year to visit artists’ studio and bring their work to the States for exhibition.

I started Epically Epic Soap in the summer of 2008. I was a little burned out with the art world then and decided to try soap making. It started as a fun, low pressure creative outlet, and quickly became my favorite thing in the world to do. I love it! The great thing about soap making is that it's an art form for three senses -- sight, smell and touch. And I love that my creations are ephemeral -- you use them, enjoy them, and they're gone. (I think I have stuff-o-phobia...)

Over the past year-and-a-half my obsession with soap making has only gotten stronger. I have branched out into lotions, lip balms, perfumes, and body scrubs. Who knows what will come next?

Along the way I have done a lot of research on soap and other bath and body products. I discovered why my skin always used to feel dry by the end of the day: because many of the ingredients in store-bought soaps and lotions, such as mineral oil, alcohol, preservatives, and sodium lauryl sulfate, can be drying to the skin and even toxic to the environment.

And, many drugstore soaps (like Dove, etc.) contain tallow, sodium tallowate, and stearic acid. These ingredients are made from processed animal fat. Before I found this out and warned them, many of my friends who are vegan or vegetarian didn’t know that they were showering with a bar of animal fat everyday!

To learn more about the harmful preservatives, mineral oil, and animal-based ingredients in the soaps and lotions you find at the drugstore, please visit my blog and read these posts:

http://epicsoap.blogspot.com/2009/09/im-up-on-soapbox-about-lotion.html

http://epicsoap.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-was-shocked-when-i-saw-this-analysis.html


Other links:
Epically Epic Soap on Etsy: www.epicallyepicsoap.etsy.com
Allison's paintings: www.allisonhill.womanmade.net
Havana Gallery: www.havanagallery.com

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the post. Cher, you are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a lip-balm but! I always have several of them around the house and on my person!
    This stuff is gawjiss...

    ReplyDelete