Sunday, February 21, 2010

My Little Eye - This Chic Rocks!


Yes she does...this chic rocks!! She has rocks too...lots of them!
The kind you want to wear. Or at least I do...daily....except when I sleep. I will poke my eye out. Perhaps that is where her name came from? I am purely speculating here.
I asked for her photo to possibly toy with...as I like to do. Her comment was "Do what you will of it - I think I would look especially fetching as a fat old bald man."

(???)

Well that is a tall order, but told her I would see what I could do once I got her photo. Obviously, this woman has children and a sense of humor. And she no longer has any mirrors. Most likely, if it is anything like my house...the children have broken her mirrors and she uses her web cam to apply makeup. Which distorts your face in amazing ways. Like fun house mirrors do.

I tried, I couldn't do it. She is just to gorgeous to turn into an old fat bald man. I couldn't even make her into and old fat bald woman. It really was traumatizing, I had to stop. So, wa la....Pure and Simple...like Ivory Soap...

Lovely Laura


I know, she is frigg'n beautiful...you feel my pain now don't ya?

So, I am a crystal kinda gal. I have been collecting them for some time. Usually for my shelf or around the neck. But, Oh...look at this...crytals for your finger? Crystal specimens for your finger?? Oh...she is so my best friend now! Soooooo...had to have this baby below. I had to use one of her photos...because basically I am not so good at taking a photo of my own hands which shake. Not good...not good at all. You can see why I say, wearing this to bed may be like wearing cowboy boots in the shower. Just sounds good in theory, but in reality not a great idea.
So your theory may be a bit different than mine...we all have our own "theories."


Here is one where she combined several different specimens of crystals. Yummy!


She started sporting some gorgeous fossils too!


Check out this amethyst cluster! So lusting after this one!

So I dare not get accused of being a stage hog, I asked her to write me up a little bio about her and her art. I have to say her product is GREAT, service SPOT ON and communication is well....here ya go...

I got started in jewelry making when my principal (I am a high school art teacher) asked me to teach a jewelry class about five years ago. I had absolutely no experience in the medium, but my background was in Sculpture. So, I felt up to the challenge, which involved me keeping one step ahead of the students, with a pile of metal smithing manuals at hand.

After I finished teaching the class, I gave birth to my second child. And then, to my third... and before I knew it, four years had passed and I had done nothing in the way of jewelry design.

I took a beginner's silver smithing class last summer, because I was sure that I really had no idea of what I was doing (being 'self taught', and poorly at that). For my first project, I wanted to set vintage round bakelite buttons into rings. From there, I became sort of obsessed with minerals specimens and crystal formations, and have been working with them ever since.

And, here I am today. I have set up a studio in my house, where I complete all my work- from milling the metal, to fabricating the pieces, to setting the specimens. My three little guys sometimes hang out with me there while I'm working. Although, this can get a bit chaotic when they decide to have a massive brawl while I am soldering.

It's challenging to balance a full-time job, three small children, and a part-time home business. However, most days, I think I am holding it together okay. Other days can be sort of overwhelming. However, I have found that now I have found a medium I enjoy working in so much, I just can't quit it.

Thank you Laura!

3 comments:

  1. Nice rings, somehow though, I can't see myself wearing them... not really me.
    Oh and you did a good job of turning me into an old... (ok, we won't go there...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi it is nice to meet you. I found you through Live Create Inspire. I do like your rings. Silver work is beautiful.

    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete